About Fair Trade
What is Fair Trade?
The Fair Trade Federation supports and encourages:
- Providing fair wages in the local context
- Supporting safe, healthy and participatory workplaces
- Supplying financial and technical support to build capacity
- Ensuring environmental sustainability
- Respecting cultural identity
- Public accountability and transparency
- Building direct and long-term relationships
- Educating consumers
Far Fetched has been working in a cottage industry setting in the same community in Mexico for over 25 years. Our jewelry is produced in the artisans' home workshops with two to three people per workshop. Far Fetched has essentially been applying fair trade practices since we started in 1985. This has been a very rewarding part of our business. Becoming a Fair Trade member symbolized our roots, raises our internal company awareness and spreads an important message about Fair Trade; a movement with values that we believe in.
If you would like more information about the Fair Trade Federation, or how you can participate or promote Fair Trade in your store, please visit their website at www.fairtradefederation.org.